Shri Adi Shankaracharya
The region of Bharat is a land of saints. Here we have those acharyas, mahatmas and philosophical scholars who are well-versed in the *Vedas-Vedanta, have attained the divine and are respectfully called to mind every morning— We have had innumerable saints like universally honoured Shri Shankracharya of the *Advaita Vedanta, Shri Nimbarkacharya, Shri Madhvacharya and Shri Vallabhacharya who were acharyas of Vaishnavism, prema avatara Shri Chaitanya Mahaprabhu, Acharya Shri Hit Harivansh ji, Goswami Shri Sanatan,Shri Roop and Shri Jeev, and many more eminent personalities like them.
Shri Radha-Krishna & Gopis
They have even had the great good fortune of having the actual darshan (visibly sighting) of Shri Krishna, Shri Radha and the gopis. Reaching for the deeper ecstacies of devotion they have wept in joy, on chanting the names and seeing the lilas or divine play of Shri Radha-Krishna, and the cowherdesses of Vraja.
Shri Hanuman Prasad Poddar, Fondly Known as Bhaijee
*Bhaijee would have a veritable darshan of the Supreme Being (esp as equated with Vishnu or Krishna) either because he wished to or by God's grace when the Almighty Himself wanted to tell him something, in particular. On one such occasion Bhaijee was sitting outside the house. All of a sudden he went and sat inside a small dingy room, as if some force was pulling him and shut the door.
By himself he sat on a chair and kept a chair in front for someone else to sit on. Unexpectedly, bright light spread all around and immense peace could be felt. Immediately God appeared. His feet could be touched once, on the chair in front. Soon after, He was positioned in space.Seeing this unasked grace of the Supreme Being, Bhaijee reached the heights of religious rapture. And then amazingly, he had a conversation with God.
The Almighty talked somewhat in this fashion:
Lord Vishnu, the Supreme Being
- It is beneficial to keep the matter of My darshan a secret.
- One who fights in the name of dharma (sanctions of religion) does not know of my power.
- There is time left for absolute ruin or destruction.
Kalki Avatara, the Tenth Incarnation of Lord Vishnu
- The time of my avatara or incarnation is very far away, at present.
- In case you want to work for the well-being of the world, discard discrimination and propagate the chanting of My Name. Explain to the people that everything will be possible by reciting My Name, in this age. Taking My Name will be the sole consideration in My incarnation, as well.
Yamraj, the god of Death
- Warn those who shelter sins by taking the support of Name, that even Yamraj (the god of death) can not purify them.
- It is utterly foolish to chant My Name for expiating sins and sense gratification . One can get rid of sins by phalbhoga (enjoying or sufffering the consequences of one's actions) and atonement. We should not bother about momentary sensory pleasures. What is the harm in bhogas (suffering as for one's sins) passing to and fro.
Chanting the Name of God
- God's Name is something dearer than one's beloved. It should be used solely for union with the divine.
- Deceit has risen considerably. Above all deception is the greatest obstruction in attaining Me. Beware of hypocrits and also warn them that they are going to have a terrible ending. Pretence is far worse than even lust and anger.
- Do not give anyone a definite assurance of my darshan.
- Do not propagate these matters by My Name, apart from Jasidih.
Smarana of Lord Vishnu
- I am not going to come in this manner again, now. Without you calling, I have come twice because I had to reveal these matters to you. You can do smarana (concentrated recollection) and call Me, whenever you want. But do not make a mistake.
After this episode, the Supreme Being vanished. Whereas Bhaijee entered into a trance which lasted for forty hours at a stretch.
Bhaijee: Hanuman Prasad Poddar (1892–1971) fondly called Bhaijee was the founder of Gita Press, Gorakhpur. As an editor of 'Kalyan', he is known for his untiring efforts to propagate Hinduism across the world.He also published and edited ‘Kalyan – Kalpataru’ in English from 1934 and the book continues to be in publication.
He had great epics like the Ramayana, the Mahabharata, the Puranas and the Upanishads translated into Hindi and made available to the common people at affordable prices.In his translation of some Upanishads and Puranas in Hindi and English, he has taken care of communicability without any compromise with their poetic heights.
Bhaijee actively participated in the freedom movement against British Rule in India and was jailed for being in close contact with revolutionaries of Bengal.
Vedas: any of the three (later four) early Indian sacred scriptures
Vedanta: a monistic philosophy and theology based on the Upanishads
Advaita Vedanta: According to Adi Shankara, God, the Supreme Cosmic Spirit or Brahman is the One, the whole and the only reality. Other than Brahman, everything else, including the universe, material objects and individuals, are false.
Acharya: founder or leader of a sect
Jasidih: Shri Hanuman Prasad Poddar had darshan of Lord Vishnu in Jasidih