Monday, May 18, 2020

Charit Vaibhav: A Shower of Shri Maharaj ji's Grace


'hasta-nyasta-natapavargam akhilodaram kisorakriti  ||2||'
(Shri Krishna Karnamrita, 2nd shloka)
'Granting moksha to those who seek refuge in Him, the ever youthful Lord Krishna is a storehouse of compassion.'


Shri Balkrishna Das ji Maharaj

Lord Krishna was compassionate enough to give me a chance to translate 'Charit Vaibhav' into English and consequently Shri Balkrishna Dasji Maharajji's grace was affectionately showered on me.

Although I had never met Maharajji I would invariably see my husband read his biography 'Charit Vaibhav'. An intense desire to translate the life account of Maharaj Shri into the English language would often arise in my mind.


Bhaktimati Usha Bahenji

With Bobo ji's grace I had begun writing a blog named hariharji.blogspot.com in 2008. Posting 'Smriti Kaumadi,'a life account of Shri Manohar Baba who had written 'Charit Vaibhav' in Hindi had got a tremendous response and the traffic of visitors had increased.

Swami Shri Haridas ji

Later my husband and I had gone to Vrindavan on Shri Maharaj ji's Jayanti in the year 2011. On reaching we had visited Tamal Kunj to hear the vocal rendition of padhati,a traditional form of kirtan as was sung by Swami Shri Haridas ji. Select Bhajans from 'Ali Bhav Nirjhar' were also rendered vocally  by talented  singers. The ambiance had seemed to be loaded with Maharaj Shri's presence.

One fine day I rang up Shri Ram Avtar ji in Mumbai and told him that I had been working on 'hariharji.blogspot.com' for the past four years. He asked me if I could translate 'Charit Vaibhav'and its Sanskrit excerpts into English which had been initially translated by Gaud Sahab.  


Shri Manohar Das ji, the Author of 'Charit Vaibhav'

My prayers bore fruit and I was soon given a chance to work on 'Charit Vaibhav.' However, there were so many changes on every leaf of paper that after going through  twenty pages I felt this exercise would not work.

 
Bihar Panchami


On Bihar Panchami, I got a call from the Divine that I should take up this task from the very beginning.  With Shri Maharajji's grace I began working. Every state of Maharaj Shri’s many bhava stithis , bhava aveshas, the awakening of sattvik bhavas,  and passionate weeping was depicted as if Shri Manohar Baba was by my side and telling me exactly what to write.


The Lilas of Shri Radha-Krishna


As I worked on the text there were certain passages in Sanskrit which seemed so tough. Thereupon the Divine intervened and I got in touch with a member of saint Usha Bhatnagar's parikar for help. At times the Sanksrit excerpts and playfull dalliance of Lord Krishna would be discussed for hours together.


Shri Balkrishna Das ji Maharaj(right) & Manohar Bhaiya

The work went on for almost two years. The end result of translating and editing Charit Vaibhav' was so touching that many a time  I would get sentimental on reading the English version. This venture has been successfully accomplished only because of Shri Maharajji's grace and the mercy of Shri Manohar Baba.  

The Radha Bhava

Finally, I would request the reader to overlook lapses on my part if any and enjoy reading the text which showcases Shri Balkrishna Das ji Maharaj absorbed in the Mahabhava also known as Radha Bhava. In this state the devotee is required to assume the nature, nuances and psychological state of Shri Radha in Her loving devotions to Krishna.


Shri Balkrishna Das ji Maharaj

We have now come out with an English version of 'Charit Vaibhav' to coincide with the centenary celebrations of Shri Balkrishna Das ji Maharaj.The chapters of this biography will be posted in due course for the benefit of readers. 'Charit Vaibhav' will surely emerge as a legacy for future generations who want to tread on the path of spirituality.


[1]    Boboji: Bhaktmati Usha Behanji was fondly known as Bobo or elder sister

4 comments:

Minakshi said...

Excellent work of translation has been done! Hope the message benefits all the viewers! :)

anand Bhaiya said...

We are fortunate enough that we are going to read the article related to- God realised great saint Shri Shri Balkrishna Das ji Maharaj of Vrindavan Life sketch

Dr. Pradeep Kumar Keshari said...

Is there any instance of meeting with Sripad Baba Ji in Charit baibhav kindly if possible. I am working on a book on devotees'memories of Sripad Baba.

Unknown said...

आज इन सभी सन्तो के दर्शन कर मन गदगद हो गया
बचपन से सभी का आशीर्वाद संग एवं सत्संग प्राप्त हुआ अम्बाला से लेकर वृन्दावन पर्यन्त ऐसा लग रहा है कि मै उनके सामने हूं उनकी कमी अब महसूस हो रही है लेकिन जो उर्जा मिली अभी अन्तर्मन मे है
जय जय श्री श्यामा श्याम
आपका रमेश गुप्ता